Best of the Midwest Pie Contest
Rules & Information
Do you think your pies are the very best in the Midwest?
Enter the Best of the Midwest Pie Contest!
We’re mixing up the ever-popular Best of the Midwest Pie Contest and adding another category! This year’s competition will of course feature Fruit Pies but you’ll also have the opportunity to enter our new category - Chocolate!
Each pie entered will be professionally judged individually on a points-based system and has an opportunity to be awarded a Gold, Silver, or Bronze level award. The pie with the highest score overall in each category will be awarded the Best of the Midwest Pie award!
All competitors must either represent a licensed and inspected food service facility (bakeries, cafes, grocery-stores, restaurants) or be a college student currently enrolled in a Baking & Pastry Arts program.
Competitors will need to provide pie samples for judging. Judging will be based on taste as well as presentation. A short description of each pie entry will be expected.
Registration & Entry Fees:
The early registration deadline for all of the competitions is Friday, February 14, 2020. The standard registration deadline is Friday, February 28, 2020. All entries must be registered in advance.
Early registration allows WBA Members to take advantage of the lowest entry fees - starting at $30!
To register for this year's competitions, please click here to return to the main competition page.
- The Best of the Midwest Pie Contest is open to students (up to one year of experience), beginners (up to 2 years’ experience), and professionals (2+ years’ experience).
- Bring your very best fruit or chocolate pie plus one slice to enter in the Best of the Midwest Pie Contest!
- Multiple entries (3 total per category) per competitor are allowed. Each pie flavor must be different. Each entry will be judged separately. For example: an individual competitor could enter more than one pie (one blueberry, one cherry, one apple) but must meet the requirements for each entry. Each entry will be judged and scored individually on a points-based system. Competitor is responsible for additional entry fees, if applicable.
- Each pie must be made from scratch and baked in a 9 inch disposable pie plate/pan.
- Pies may be single or double crust.
- Pie filling must feature fruit.
- All ingredients must be edible.
- For safety reasons, pies requiring refrigeration may not be entered.
- Judging to be held at the Pastry Studio at the Midwest Foodservice Expo on Monday, March 9th.
- Business cards or bakery logos may be placed on display following completion of judging.
- Pie entries may be set up Monday, March 9th between 7:30 AM and 9:30 AM. Any pie entries delivered after 9:45 AM will not be judged, but placed for display purposes only.
- All entries must be completed with final set up by 9:45 AM.
- Provide one pie plus one slice for each pie being entered. The pie slice will be for professional judging, the whole pie will be placed on display on the show floor.
- Please include a short description of each pie entry.
- Industry professionals will judge each entry based on standards of the product, taste, presentation, and saleability.
- All work will be done in a professional manner.
- All pie ingredients must be edible and shelf stable.
- Pies may not be removed until 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Anything left will be disposed of. We are not responsible to return items to competitors! No exceptions.
Judging & Awards:
- Judging for the Best of the Midwest Pie Contest will be held at the Midwest Foodservice Expo on Monday, March 9th by a team of qualified judges selected by the Wisconsin Bakers Association.
- The judges will complete a comment sheet for each entry; copies of those sheets will be sent to each entrant within 10 days following the completion of the Midwest Foodservice Expo via your pre-registered e-mail address.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be announced at the WBA Awards & Appetizers Networking Evening on Monday, March 9th.
- All pie entries will be judged professionally.
- Awards may include Honorable Mention, Bronze, Silver, & Gold Medals, and the Best of the Midwest Pie Trophy.
The Best of the Midwest Pie Contest is held in conjunction with the Midwest Foodservice Expo and is presented in partnership between the Wisconsin Bakers Association (WBA) and the Wisconsin Restaurant Association (WRA). By entering the competition, the contestant fully releases all rights to photos, publication and other sources of media for all work produced exclusively for, during and in the complete time frame of the event. Contestant is subject to all registration fees, applicable taxes, and all other related expenses on behalf of him/her entering the above competition. Contestant agrees to abide by all rules set forth by the WBA for this competition. Contestant understands that the WBA, WRA, or any sponsors assume no responsibility for loss, theft or damage to displays or personal items at the Midwest Foodsservice Expo and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the WBA, WRA, and all sponsors from and against all claims, demands, costs, loss, damage, expense, attorney’s fees and liabilities growing out of, or arising from, caused or occasioned by his/her activities in the competition. Competition entry fees are non-refundable. All judges’ decisions are final.
Do you have any questions about the Best of the Midwest Pie Contest?
Contact us by email at email@example.com or call (414) 258-5552 for more information!